Lecturer in midwifery on undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. Over 20 years clinical experience in midwifery, neonatal and adult intensive care.
Doctoral thesis qualitatively investigated the experiences of couples during pregnancy following perinatal loss, utilising an Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis.
Research interests include pregnancy after loss, pregnancy loss, teaching and learning in higher education, lactation education and support, TEL for Health and preparation for parenthood education.
- Treasurer and Executive Board Member, Scientific Advisory Committee Member, International Stillbirth Alliance.
- Member of the Lancet Stillbirths in High-Income Countries Investigator Group.
- National Institute for Health Research (UK) Peer Reviewer.
- Management Committee Member (Ireland) COST Action IS1405 Building Intrapartum Research Through Health – an interdisciplinary whole system approach to understanding and contextualising physiological labour and birth (BIRTH).
- International Board of Certified Lactation Education (IBCLE) Research Committee Member.
- Past President of the Association of Lactation Consultants in Ireland 2012-2014. Sat on several national breastfeeding policy boards and contributed to the development of national breastfeeding policy documents.